The JTS 10bet’s 特殊的集合 are world-class. With the largest collection of Hebrew manuscripts on earth, the most complete collection of early Hebrew printed books (incunables), 43,000 fragments from the Cairo Genizah, 还有更多, there are few collections that offer students, 学者, and visitors material of such quality, 深度, 和广度.
Our Outstanding Rare Materials Include:
- 希伯来手稿: With 11,000 Hebrew manuscripts, JTS has the largest such collection in the world. Among outstanding sub-collections are those in rabbinics (over 2,500), 圣经, 犹太哲学和诗歌, 礼拜仪式, 和语言学. 许多手稿的图像, including those digitized by the Polonsky Digitization Project, are available through the 10bet catalog.
- Genizah片段: From the Ben Ezra Synagogue in Cairo, representing Jewish life in the eastern Mediterranean world and beyond from the 10th to the 19th centuries. Outstanding examples include a letter signed by Maimonides and a handwritten letter by the great Hebrew philosopher and poet Judah Halevi. Our collection of Genizah fragments may be viewed online at the Friedberg Genizah Project.
- Incunables: Hebrew books printed from the birth of movable-type print through 1500, illustrating the interests and commitment of Jews in the 15th century.
- Ketubbot: Over 500 Jewish marriage contracts, providing evidence of Jewish art and culture from the 17th through the 20th centuries. Digitized images are available through our special collections link.
- 猛烈抨击: 4,000 rare and significant pieces spanning the 16th to the 20th centuries from communities in 欧洲, 以色列, 近东, 和美国. Broadsides are sheets printed on one side, including posters, handbills, or signs. The collection includes poems and prayers, 依靠卡巴拉的作品, 系谱图, 显微图, 地图, 以及法律文件. Some are available online; please consult a librarian.
- 卷轴: 430年卷轴, including Torah and Haftarah scrolls, 依靠卡巴拉卷轴, 300份以斯帖书, 他们中的一些人.
- 档案: Our more than 400 archival collections date from the 19th century to the present and include material representing the history of Jews in the United States, 欧洲, 北非, 和以色列, with a focus on the Conservative Movement in the 20th century. We also hold significant Jewish music archives. Guides (finding aids) for specific archival collections can be accessed by clicking “搜索 the Archives” above.
The 10bet has an active digitization program, providing online access to thousands of digital images, many of them one-of-a-kind manuscripts, with more being added every day. Most of these images were created in the 10bet’s 波隆斯基数字化实验室 in Memory of Rabbi Marc H. Tanenbaum, which was dedicated in 2015, and many were the product of the Dr. 乔其特·贝内特博士. Leonard Polonsky Digitization Project.
The 10bet’s 保护 Department is responsible for the protection, 稳定, and repair of rare materials for in-house exhibitions as well as loans to other institutions. It is the care and expertise of our conservators that make possible our aggressive loan and digitization programs. Without their extraordinary skills, it would be impossible for us to protect our rare materials while providing wide access to these treasures.
The 10bet of JTS is happy to loan items from its 特殊的集合 for exhibit at museums and other venues. There will be no interruption in this service during our construction. If you are a curator looking for items of historical or artistic value, we are happy to consult and to recommend specific works. 了解更多10bet our loan policies and guidelines.